Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Farewell to Alex

On March 11th, we said a proper farewell to Pastoral Resident Alex Kindred. Thank you to all who sent Alex your cards of support and who greeted him so warmly. I also want to let you know that with the generous gifts you sent to the church office, we were able to provide Alex with some meaningful tokens of our love. We presented him with an entire commentary series: Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching, a 43-volume set covering every book of the Bible. We also gifted him with The Library of Christian Classics on CD-ROM, which means he can read it on his computer. Additionally, we gave him his own copy of John Calvin’s Institutes of the Christian Religion (2 volumes). This is one of the most important and influential theological works ever written. And now Alex can quote Calvin and always think of us! Finally, we gave Alex a gift of cash, which he can use in whatever way he needs. And isn’t it wonderful that Alex is only moving across town? I am so pleased that he will continue to be my colleague—and one whom I plan to see on a regular basis at Taco Johns!




Alex begins his ministry at First Christian Church on Palm Sunday, April 1. His ordination service at Faith UCC on Mulberry will be Saturday, May 12. I encourage us to pray for Alex and his new congregation as they begin their work together. Please join me in the prayer we prayed for Alex on that Sunday, from the book of Ephesians: “I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.” Amen!



From Alex:

“Thank you for your warmth in receiving a stranger into your midst and making me feel at home right away. Thank you for your patience as I have continued to find my voice as a pastor. Thank you for your prayers, support, and care. It has been a blessed time of growth for me - thank you for making it possible.”

No comments:

Post a Comment