Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Top Ten Countdown to Gratitude

As a way of saying "Thank You" again for my ministry with you since December 2, 2007, I have compiled a list of my top 10 favorite spots in the church.


10) Library -- This is where I had my face-to-face interview with the Pastoral Nominating Committee August 18, 2007 ... and where we had many fun deacons meetings also!

9) Kitchen -- This is where Jeff K. taught me how to use the automatic dishwasher, and where Alex and I made lots of coffee.

8) Nursery -- This is where Sharon & Agnes took care of Sophia with such love, and where she played with her friends.

7) Choir Room -- This is where Natalie and David led the children's choir with Sam, Sarah, and their friends.

6) Multipurpose Room -- This is where we had so many wonderful funeral luncheons and Wednesday night meals.

5) Confirmation Room -- This is where I had great conversations about discipleship with our youth, where I passed on what my grandma taught me, that following Jesus is the best choice they'll ever make.

4) Narthex -- This is where, on my first Sunday, A.J. grabbed me by the arm and showed me where to stand in order to greet you all after Sunday worship services.

3) Parlor (soon to be Gathering Room) -- This is where we washed each other's feet for Maundy Thursday Services.

2) My Office -- This is where I studied for and prepared many sermons, sat and reflected on how best to be your pastor, asked God to provide visions and future stories for this congregation, offered many prayers, worked with potential new members, and had wonderful conversations with many of you.

1) Sanctuary -- This is where we sang, prayed, laughed, and cried together. It is where I stood in the same pulpit as my won-derful predecessors, where you taught me to be a better preacher, where Christ claimed us in baptism and communed with us at the table, where David C. played Bach on the organ and where the choir sang “Hallelujah” on Easter morning. This is where we learned "Who are you? I am a child of God" and "God is good all the time, and all the time God is good!"

Thank you! I will look back on my time here with great fondness and appreciation. I will also pray for you and watch with excitement what God has in store for you. You are an attractive church--stable, generous, mission-minded, ecumenical. You are impacting lives through 5 Key Ministries (Worship, Youth, Deacon Prayer Cards, Emmaus Cafe and Pastoral Residency). Your next pastor will be blessed to be here, and he or she will also bless you in new and exciting ways. Remember always what God tells you: "You are precious in my sight and honored, and I love you" (Isaiah 43.4). Therefore you have nothing to fear.

Gratefully, David

No comments:

Post a Comment