Wednesday, December 22, 2010

We Belong

Church means we belong.

I think I will always remember last Sunday Dec 19. During a blizzard warning with fierce winds whipping around us, 82 people gathered in a sanctuary to worship. Sharon and Agnes were invited forward for Christ to bless them in the sacrament of baptism. The nursery children gathered with us to witness to Christ's act in the church: "You are sealed by the Holy Spirit in baptism and marked as Christ's own forever." We belong.

Sharon and Agnes didn't go directly back to the nursery. There was something else. Communion. As one body, we came forward and received the bread for the journey: "The body of Christ, for you. The blood of Christ, for you."

The children saw people coming forward so they came forward too. A little child shall lead them (Isaiah 11:6). My daughter Sophia and her friend Adelle Leavens held hands and walked toward me. Sophia took my hand and stood there with Adelle. They kept watch as, one after another, people came forward to "taste and see that the Lord is good" (Psalm 34.8). Then it was their turn, right along with Agnes and Sharon. For you. For you. Did they get it? Did I get it? Did you? Maybe it's not about "getting" it, that's the rest of your life. But in that moment, sheltered from the wind and cold, it is to receive it. Like a child: "Unless you CHANGE and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom" Matthew 18:3.

It can't be explained, but it can experienced. But if I had to use words I would start with "we belong."

No comments:

Post a Comment